3.04.2012

Da Spicy Beef


I like Moroccan food. Alas, the Florida panhandle has little to offer as far as African food goes. 
Now, normally when I have skirt steak, I make fajitas. I don't mean to be so uncreative, but it just happens that way. Yesterday I pulled some skirt steak out of the freezer, knowing that I'd probably end up making fajitas.
No! Not tonight! A little voice inside my head was screaming at me.
I thought, "Why don't I ever make anything Moroccan with beef? I always use chicken."
Well, it was time to expand my protein horizons.
I marinated the skirt steak in a mixture of vegetable oil, lemon juice, coriander, paprika, cumin, turmeric, garlic, salt, pepper, cinnamon, and ginger for about an hour.
I then chopped it up and cooked it with onions and garlic, adding water and letting it reduce down a few times. Then I added green olives (I only had the pimento stuffed kind, which are pretty salty. Just soak them in water before adding them), parsley, cilantro, and preserved lemon peel.
 You can make your own very easily, or you can find them jarred. I think either way is fine. 
(Never heard of 'em? Learn here)
 After that I just simmered the whole thing until the sauce was nice and thick and served it over couscous.
It was lovely, and we were both quite pleased with it. I'll be adding this to my "simple weeknight dinners" list.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment