2.29.2012

leftovers

 The other night I made bolognese sauce in my slow cooker. I used three of the the five Italian sausages in the package, and wrapped the other two up, hoping that i would find something to do with 2 sausages before I had to throw them out.
I did think of something!
Tonight at work, Dr. Dyson said that she was making chorizo and black beans for dinner.
I like beans. 
I have sausage, but it isn't chorizo...
I came home and knew that I wanted to do something with those Italian sausages and a can of cannellini beans. I ended up with this soup.
Sausage, cannellini beans, one zucchini, one carrot, two stalks of celery, a white onion, 3 cloves of garlic, fresh thyme, fresh bay leaf, a chopped tomato, and crushed red pepper, with a chicken stock base.
Just brown the sausage in olive oil, add the zucchini, celery, carrot, onion and garlic. Sweat those for a minute, then add the beans, herbs, crushed red pepper, and tomato. Cover with stock. Bring to a boil and let it bubble for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 more.
I sprinkled parsley and a drizzle of olive oil on top, but it would be lovely with some pecorino romano. too.
Let's hear it for soup! Hazaa!

No comments:

Post a Comment