3.22.2011

post-surgical feelings.

I've been home from surgery for about 27 hours now. I'm bored, so I guess it's time to blog.

The surgery went well. I don't remember much, other than getting dressed in my gown (I'm pretty sure it was a linen snuggy) and being asked to take off my mascara. I got drawn on by the surgeon, which was a strange moment. I remember being wheeled into the operating room by a very hilarious black man. I remember being shifted all around by very awkward "momma bird" type female nurses, and that's it. I remember waking up once and seeing Ricky, then doing that again and again. Then I remember vomiting several times. After being sat up in bed, they moved me in a wheelchair to a room full of big recliner-type chairs, and waited until I could go pee. Or, "go potty" as one older nurse put it. I wanted to punch her in her baby-talking mouth. I eventually did, if just by sheer will, because I hate catheters. Then I got to go home. Surgery lasted about 2.5 hours, recovery was about 5. Then I got home and went to sleep. Thanks percocet.
Everyone has been pretty supportive. My family and friends, along with pretty much everyone on my Facebook and Ricky's. It's nice to hear people wishing you well. Unfortunately, the one person who said, "I think you're doing something stupid" was my older sister. My older sister who hasn't spoken to me in months chooses now to speak out, in a negative way of course. Really? I don't understand people. It was hurtful and not necessary, but consider the source, as I've been told.
This was not an easy decision to come to. I've had a large bust since I was in the 6th grade, and however uncomfortable, it's been a part of my life and of my physical identity. This surgery has been on my mind for more than 10 years.
I dunno, I guess it aggravated me that someone would pass judgement. Who are we to tell people what they should or should not do? If someone wants to feel better about the way they look, who are we to say that it's wrong? May I also add that if my reduction wasn't deemed medically necessary my insurance wouldn't have covered it 100%, since Tricare doesn't cover cosmetic surgery.
I saw them today for the first time, it was surreal. Like looking at someone else in the mirror.
I can't wait for the swelling to go down so I can go bra shopping!

2 comments:

  1. I am very pleased and relieved to hear everything went well and your back home recovering. i wish you a speedy recovery and a great day of bra shopping. then get your rear back to work (trying to keep it clean). my coffee just isnt the same...

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you. Anyone who has the balls to say anything negative should try dealing with the physical consequences of a big bust - they make the back hurt!! I'm actually kind of glad that after having and nursing 2 kids mine have gone down between 1/2 and a full cup. It gave my back enough of a break that I don't have to deal with any uncomfortableness anymore.

    ReplyDelete