6.14.2010

Beach, Brownies, and Dinner

Today we went to the beach. It has a sad feeling lately, for obvious reasons.
And it's not really fun seeing this.
We didn't see any tar balls, but there was a whole crew of people out there. Breaks my heart.
On the brighter side, there were brownies to be made. Look at my cute spoons! I love you, World Market.
(from left to right: cocoa powder, lavender, sea salt, and Starbucks Via Italian Roast powder)
All brownies need a good amount of coffee flavor, in my opinion.
Me in all of my hair not done, makeup not on, not smiling, cupcake necklace and cute apron-wearing, 'bout the make some lavender brownies glory.
Flour, sugar, cocoa powder, coffee powder, lavender buds, and salt all mixed up. All that was left was butter, eggs, and vanilla. I wrapped up the finished brownies and I'm taking them to work tomorrow.
Oh! Tomorrow President Obama is going to be at the Gulf Islands National Seashore, about 10 minutes from my house. I wish I could go, but I have to work. Sad face.
Tonight I made something very new for dinner. Capellini with salmon and edamame pesto.
Not a true pesto, obviously. It's made with edamame, cilantro, basil, sesame oil, salt, olive oil, and garlic, and a little water. Pretty awesome, if I do say so myself.
It had an odd taste at first, simply because it's a strange combination of ingredients. After the first couple of bites, it really came together and made sense. I found this recipe in an Andrea Immer cookbook, Everyday Dining with Wine.
I go home in three days! It's been far too long since I've been in the great Northwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment