4.23.2010

Bon Vendredi!

First of all, this is now mine.
We finally decided that we couldn't stand the sight of our old dishwasher, oh, and that we were tired of it being broken, and bought this sweet Kenmore puppy. It matches the fridge, which is awesome, and with the rebate that the state of Florida is giving for Energy Star rated appliances, we ended up getting it for around $300, which is awesome-er.
In other Powell household news, the Westies finally got their hair cut. Pretty short this time, what with the hell fires of Floridian summer coming up.
Malo Shakur.
And Pirate Eye Maggie.
The baby bluebirds have left the nest, and are clumsily flying around the back yard.
My backyard was invaded by this beast the other day.
Turtle!
I have finally perfected my buffalo sauce recipe, and I'm not sharing. Unless you ask nicely.
As well as my tomato sauce recipe. Which is really simple but amazing.
Blanche and peel your tomatoes, and make a sauce with fresh herbs, olive oil, a little butter, salt, fresh garlic, and shallots.
On a depressing side note, I'm sad.
A very good friend of mine has recently cut me out of his life. We were really close in Germany, and I considered him one of the best friends I've ever had. He started dating his ex high school sweetheart, which is awesome, but apparently she decided, even though she's never met me, that she doesn't like me, and so he cut all ties, without explanation. I had to send him an e-mail (sheesh) asking what was going on, and only then was I informed. Pretty lame. I don't understand how some girls can get so insecure and immature. I'm not angry with her, I don't know her, I'm just deeply hurt and offended. I lost a very close friend, and the only reason seems to be that I was judged before she knew anything about me, and that, well, men are morons.
On the bright side, this occurrence forced me to look at some of my own behavior. When Ricky and I started dating, I was 18. And dumb. I told him that I didn't want him talking to his ex anymore. He obliged, even though they had stayed good friends after their breakup.
I sent her an email last week (thank you, Facebook) and told her, "For what it's worth, I'm sorry I was so childish and insecure that I took your friend away from you."
She wrote back, and was really kind and understanding.
I told Ricky that if he wanted to be friends with her, it didn't bother me. And it doesn't.
I felt like I grew up a little.
Here's a thought: Maybe loving someone doesn't mean controlling every aspect of their life!
lol.
There's a quote about holding onto love firmly enough to keep it, but not so firmly that you crush it. This made me think of that quote.
Soon to come: Pictures of my mammoth squash plants and my budding garden.
Now I'm off to make meatloaf, for the first time ever. It sounds not so fun. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. 1) OMG about your new dish washer! I now have dish washer envy.

    2) It's very enlightening to have epiphanies from a wiser and older self. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jealousy and insecurity gets you nowhere. Except alone in the end. Yay for lighter thoughts!

    ReplyDelete