12.21.2009

Unbelievable.

I literally cried when I read this. Why would anyone do something like this? Money? Publicity? Bragging rights?
It makes me sad. It makes me angry. I don't understand.
That place was where people died. Died. They were beaten, tortured, starved, and murdered. There are rooms there filled with the hair of women. With their glasses. My visit to that place is something I will never forget. It was a feeling that will stay with me and haunt me for the rest of my life. And these treated that place with such disrespect. They cut through barbed wire fencing that has been in place since the late 30's. They cut the sign into pieces. It makes me sick. That place is terrible, but it needs to be there. It needs to be there and it needs to be respected so that the world never forgets. This act was shameful and disgusting.
After our visit to Auschwitz and Birkeneau back in April, my sister wrote this. It's worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment