7.27.2009

Mascarpone Bliss!

My latest dessert endeavors!
This is a Lavender Blackberry and Raspberry tart! I made the tart dough (no-roll tart dough, how awesome is that?) with almond flour and ground lavender (along with sugar, butter, and an egg yolk) and spread the baked crust with strained, heated raspberry preserves. The filling is mascarpone, heavy cream, orange zest, almond extract, and sugar. Then I arranged the berries on top. It's heavenly.

This is my first Tiramisu. I was surprised at the simplicity of it, but not disappointed. I love mascarpone cheese! I do not, however, love people who pronounce it as though there were an "r" after the first "a" instead of an "s." What is it with those people? Probably the same people who say "nuk-le-ar." It was such a joy trying to locate it in the grocery store, as I am apparently the only person in Florida who understands that it is said they way it is spelled. Sheesh!

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, someone else who loves mascarpone cheese as much as I do!! Your tart is gorgeous! Which recipe do you use for your tiramisu? Mine tend to be kind of runny.

    I googled the proper pronunciation of "mascarpone"...I've never had to ask for it by name, so I thought I was pronouncing it right, but I missed the "ay" sound of the "e" at the end. http://forvo.com/word/mascarpone/ :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My recipe was this:

    Prepare 1.5 cups instant espresso (from powder)add 1/3 cup sugar and let cool.

    Whip 3/4 cup heavy cream with 1/3 cups sugar until soft peaks form. Fold the sweetened cream into the the mascarpone (I used 1 8 oz. container)

    Dip 32 ladyfingers (I used the hard ones, but soft would do just fine, I'm sure) into the cold espresso. Layer the espresso soaked ladyfingers and the sweet mascarpone in a plastic wrap-lined dish, ending with ladyfingers. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

    Turn out onto a serving dish and remove wrap, dust with unsweetened cocoa powder and voila! Yummies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I'll try your version. I might sub in homemade sponge cake though, as ladyfingers are not as easy to find in our small town. :)

    ReplyDelete