3.21.2012

365 Days with D's: One year since my reduction.


One year ago today I had my breast reduction surgery. It's hard to believe, it feels like just yesterday I was bandaged, sleeping sitting up, popping percocet for the pain, and needing Ricky to help me wash my hair. How the time flies!
I'm still really happy about my decision. There were some people who asked, "What if you regret it?" While I knew that wouldn't, it was hard  to get people to understand that.
Some days I still get a little bothered by the scars, but that's a rare occurrence. I do, however, wish that they were smaller still. Going from a G to a D was a big change, but I really wanted to have small breasts. A D is smaller than I've been since middle school, but still large to me. Of course, now that I'm pregnant they've gotten a little bigger. I'm somewhere between a D and  DD, but the change is small and to be expected. From what I've been told they should go back to their post-surgery size afterwards. If not, I can have the surgery revised. I'm completely willing to do that.
My one concern now, and a year ago actually, is breastfeeding. It was the only roadblock I ran into during my decision-making process. While we still don't know if I'll be able to, I've done a little research and from what I've read it can be possible. It's really a case by case sort of thing. Some women produce just fine, some need to supplement, and some can't produce at all. We'll have to wait and see. As much as I'd like to be able to breastfeed, I still don't regret having the surgery. If I do have to have it re-done, I'll want to go to a different doctor. The doctor that I saw had a terrible bedside manner, and never once asked me what size I'd like to be or anything like that. I understand that my procedure was more medically necessary than cosmetic, but still. That's the only part of my experience that I would have changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment