2.08.2011

Drunken Waxwings

So today at work we had birds flying into our front windows and dying. It was horrible. Some wouldn't die right away, some did, and another one was pretty stunned and I just held it until it closed it's mouth and flew out of my hands. That part wasn't so bad. I remembered that last year this same thing was happening, so I called the Pensacola Wildlife Rescue and asked them about it. The birds (the woman knew right away what they were from my vague description) are Cedar Waxwings, a migratory songbird that passes through this area every winter. They eat overripe berries and get a little drunk off of the alcohol in them. Weird, right?

Anyway, I think I'm going to get some special decals to put on our windows to make sure the birds see them, we have huge windows and it's no wonder the birds just think it's open space. The woman at the rescue also told me that we can bring any injured birds to them, and told me how to take care of them until we can bring them by. That made me feel better.
Poor things.
What an odd day.

No comments:

Post a Comment