11.27.2010

November 25th...

our Thanksgiving went pretty darn well. It just just Ricky and I, which was really nice, considering that he had to work and wasn't even home until well after 6 pm.
I was up very early making pie crusts, but there are worse things to wake up for.
I took a few pictures. My turkey was beautiful, but I didn't get a good shot. At 6:45 on Thanksgiving before you eat, the last thing you want to do is take photographs of poultry. =)
Bread stuffing...or is it dressing since it's not inside my bird? Sourdough bread, currants, apples, onions, celery, and herbs. Simon and Garfunkel herbs.
-Parsley , sage, rosemary, and thyyyyyyyyyyme-
Turkey, herb gravy, potato and turnip gratin with fontina and thyme, my stuff-dressing, cranberry sauce with cardamom and Meyer lemon zest, and green bean casserole 5.0.
I. Love. Green bean casserole. Yes, the Campbell's soup, French's fried onions, canned cut green beans stuff. Truth.
I didn't, however, want to make it. I wanted to...upgrade it. I sauteed fresh green beans with shiitake mushrooms and thinly sliced scallions, then added some heavy cream and cracked pepper.
Same flavors, less guilt, and just as comforting.
Go me.
I was going to add almonds, but didn't. I didn't think they needed them.
Pecan tart with a little Nicaraguan rum. Just your basic pecan pie recipe with rum added, in a rectangular tart pan instead of a normal pie pan.
This year I made pumpkin pie. From a pumpkin. It was super easy, and tastes nearly exactly the same as using a can of pumpkin puree, but I was very proud nonetheless.
I use half butter and half lard in my pie crusts. That will never change. They're flaky and delicious! Why are people afraid of lard? I don't get it. It has no trans fat, less saturated fat and cholesterol, and more unsaturated fat than an equal amount of butter. Maybe it's just the word... lard. Hmph.
I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving!
I partook in my only tradition, watching The Godfather I and II.

1 comment:

  1. maybe it's the word. for me it's the fact that in TX grocery stores there are HUGE 5 gallon tubs of it on the bottom shelf. Just the idea of that much lard kinda makes me go "EW".

    I like the word "stuff-dressing." :-) I'm going to call it that now! I never put mine inside the bird, I always cook it separately using my great-aunt's recipe. And I forgot to take a picture of our turkey too. Darn. Cause it turned out great. I cannot cook anywhere near as well as you can, so I use the brine to make sure I don't screw it up!

    ReplyDelete