6.03.2010

Sick day

I had to come home sick from work today. I feel terrible. Lightheaded, sick to my stomach... no idea why. Some of the girls at work have been sick, so that might have something to do with it. We're in pretty close quarters there.
So I took my sick butt home at 10, made some Heinz beans on toast, and decided to catch up on blogging.
On Tuesday night I had Randi and Tyler over for dinner so that we could hang out and our dogs could meet. We're watching their two pugs for a week starting on Friday.
I made Burmese Chile Chicken over jasmine rice. I also fried up some store bought vegan spring rolls and made a quick peanut sauce for an appetizer, but forgot to take a picture.
The stir fry was pretty good! Chicken thighs, poblano and anaheim chiles, bell peppers, onions, ginger, garlic, zucchini, and not a drop of soy sauce. I loved it.
For dessert I made something very not Asian. Spiced panna cottas with fresh berries. Basic panna cotta with vanilla, cardamom, cinnamon, and fresh nutmeg. Topped off with fresh raspberries and blueberries.
Last night we just had big salads for dinner. Mixed greens, red bell pepper, tomato, some leftover chicken thighs that I grilled, shaved parmigiana reggiano, and a quick dressing I made with lemon juice, olive oil, fresh garlic, honey, and some stone ground mustard.

In only a few weeks we have our second nest of baby bluebirds! There are 4 again this time.
I finally worked up the courage to open the bird house (being careful not to touch the nest or chicks at all) and of course, they didn't come tumbling out like I had feared. Look at them! Such hungry little bright yellow mouths!
On an unrelated note, I picked up some live clams today at Publix and once I got home I discovered that many of them were dead. Bummer.
I'm also joining a gym. There's a 24 hour gym down the street. Worth the money? I think so.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry you're sick! The Burmese Chile Chicken looks amazing; where did you get the recipe from?

    The bluebirds are the cutest things!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the touching the birdy thing is a myth, so don't worry :)

    ReplyDelete