5.27.2010

Vacation! Probably my longest photo post yet.

Right then. As you know, Ricky and I took a vacation last week. We went to Cape Canaveral, Tampa, Key West, and West Palm Beach. Kind of a little tour o' Florida. Here are pictures and brief descriptions. They won't be in very good order... but you all know how annoying it is to move things around on Blogger.
We saw the last launch of the shuttle Atlantis. It was amazing. After about 20 seconds of it ascending into the air, we suddenly heard and felt the huge noise it made. Incredible.
There's me looking really goofy. I was excited about the shuttle, and the critter below...
...okay, so it's not very clear. But that little dark dot on the far right is a manatee! My first manatee! I was so happy.
We drove through Springfield and saw the Simpsons. =)

On our way down the Keys we stopped in Key Largo and went into the club where Key Largo was filmed. It's one of my favorite Bogart movies.
He still hangs out there.
The world's largest Florida Lobster!
There's me at Busch Gardens.
These little guys were everywhere. Everywhere.
Our hotel room in Key West, complete with a diagram of a flux capacitor. For safety's sake?
Best fish tacos ever! Bad Boy Burrito on Key West. Go there. It's a tiny little hole in the wall place, they only take cash, and there are only 2 bar stools. It's amazing.
And it sports excellent wall art.
These trees made me think of fireworks. Aren't they gorgeous? I don't know what they are, but I want one in my yard!
Key West sunset.
Key West coconut victory!
Mile marker 0.
The southernmost point of the continental United States. Pretty cool.
Kayaking in Key West.
Aren't those mangroves awesome?
I apparently love kayaking.
Cormorants.
These were all over the island! Chickens and roosters!
Ernest Hemingway's home in Key West.
His kitchen.
Me making friends with one of the over 60 cats that live on the grounds.
A giant black snake that I got out of the car to chase. Yes, I might be crazy.
(But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for.)
The very rare Florida panther did not cross the road. Bummer.
The Everglades! I've always wanted to see them.
My first alligator sighting. He's just a little guy. I spotted him from a bridge as we were driving along. I should have a show on Animal Planet.
My first time on the Atlantic coast!
Flamingos at Busch Gardens. Did you know that they're only that bright pink color because of their food? Read about them here.
I leave you with this. This picture captures exactly how I felt about riding a wooden roller coaster for the first time. I was terrified, and look how happy Ricky is! I cried, needless to say.
All in all our vacation was great! Happy to be home though, I missed the pets. And my job... how strange to say that. I've never had a job that I missed! This is a good thing, right?

1 comment: