1.30.2010

Mushrooms and Broccoli, and a nod to Salinger.

I'm tired.

That being said, I made myself a delicious vegetarian dinner tonight.
Polenta (Squee!) with mushroom cream sauce made with the fresh organic Shiitake mushrooms I bought at Ever'Man, along with some broccoli cooked with red pepper flakes, lemon zest, and garlic.
Stop underlining the word 'Shiitake' in red computer, it isn't spelled wrong. Not to mention that it's a proper noun and can be spelled however it wants.
I blanched the broccoli very quickly, then drained it and sauteed it in olive oil along with the previously stated ingredients. It was awesome, and I'll be making it again for sure.

On to a more somber topic.
As most of you hopefully already know, the world lost American author Jerome David Salinger on Wednesday, January 27th. J.D. Salinger wrote the hugely influential The Catcher in the Rye, Franny and Zooey, as well as several novellas.
The Catcher in the Rye opened up the whole world of American literature to me. Franny and Zooey is always in my car as my "if I stop by a coffee shop and want to read something" book. While his list of works is short, they were all incredibly well written and he will be missed.
Salinger died at age 91, and hadn't given an interview of any kind since 1980, and his last original work was published back in 1965. He was known for his reclusive nature, and it's nice to know that he lived a peaceful, calm, long life.
To reference Holden Caulfield, it's still crummy. (If you get that, good. If not, don't worry about it.)
“It's funny. All you have to do is say something nobody understands and they'll do practically anything you want them to.”
-J.D. Salinger

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, your mushroom sauce sounds wonderful! I do love polenta.

    ReplyDelete