12.25.2009

Happy Christmas

Not a whole lot going on today. I slept in, called my family, and talked to Ricky. Not an ideal Christmas, but everyone I love is happy and healthy, and that's all I could ever ask for. ♥
Malo and Maggie (I should start calling them "Maglo" haha, like "Brangelina") were so cute today, all cuddled up together on the bed. I love my two black noses!
I wanted my house to smell like something delicious, and I had nothing better to do, so I made this Lemon Vanilla Tart. Those are oven-candied lemon slices on top, along with lots of fresh mint. This thing was dangerously good. I bet it would be great with key limes, too.

Teresa of Life, Homesteading, and Everything asked me for the specifics on my hot chocolate.
I didn't measure, lashings of apologies all around for that.
In a pot on the stove over medium heat, combine semi-sweet chocolate (I used chips, as that's what I had on hand,) sugar, and about 1/2 cup of soy milk. Whisk until chocolate is melted and everything is combined, then add more soy (or regular) milk and about 1/2 tsp of coconut flavoring (The McCormick stuff) or to taste. Whisk whisk whisk until everything is nice and creamy and blended.
For the whipped cream I just combined heavy cream, a little confectioner's sugar, more coconut flavoring, and vanilla bean paste in my mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. I dolloped that on top of my hot chocolate, and sprinkled on a little toasted coconut that I made by simply dry-frying some flaked coconut on my stove top, aaaaaaaand it was fantastic. If I weren't drinking wine right now ('tis the season!) I'd make some more of that stuff.
Recipe is here at Ever So Sweet.
Good tidings, everyone!

P.S.- I just (a few hours after this original post) made some more from scratch hot chocolate, with Splenda, soy milk, and peppermint extract. I'm excited.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you!!! I believe that's just what the doctor ordered for curing my cold. That's what I'm going to tell dh anyway. ;)

    Can't wait to see the Lemon Vanilla Tart recipe!

    ReplyDelete