9.19.2011

wrinkles.




I have wrinkles. Little ones around my eyes, that awesome "11" between my eyes when I frown that I get from my dad's side...I also have a few grey hairs.
I'm a baby! I'll only be 25 in October.
And I don't give a shit.
I actually love my grey hair, and can't wait to get more. That's the truth.
Seriously. I'm not sure why I should care.
This is old news, I'm sure, but every time I turn on the TV I'm reminded of how bad I should feel about myself.
"Women! Are you too fat? To skinny? Too flabby? Do you have wrinkles? Freckles? Grey hair? Teeth that aren't blindingly white? Are your breasts sagging? Too little? Too big (because you're too fat)? Does your vagina not smell like a perfumery? Are your eyelashes not 4.6 inches long and the width of scallions? Do you get *gasp* hungry during the day? Are you in any way imperfect?
BUY THIS! IT WILL CURE YOU!

Body image misconceptions aggravate me, but not nearly as much as aging ones do.
What is so damn wrong with getting old? Do we all really want to look like a Real Housewife of Wherever? Taut fish lips, expressionless foreheads, and bug-eyes? 
I speak more with my facial muscles than I do with my mouth. I can't imagine what I'd do if I couldn't scrunch my face up when someone makes me confused or pissed off. I'd probably pass out.
Is it not better to just be beautiful and look your age? Is it not more attractive to look as though you take care of yourself and have thus aged gracefully rather than look like you are fighting getting old with every dime you make?
I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with moisturizing, or using a good night cream. Every night before bed I slather Oil of Olay night cream on my face, neck, chest, and the backs of my hands, just as I remember my mother doing when I was a girl. But when the day comes that I have more wrinkles than I do now, or when my eyelids start to droop in a Rocky Balboa-style fashion, just as my father's and his mother's do, I'm not going to rush to a clinic to get a needle stuck into my face. Age is beautiful. Trying to look 20 when you're 55 is sad, and it just makes me think that you're unhappy with yourself. Whatever toxins you shoot into your face, you can't get your time back. Be happy with where you are, with how far you've come, and who you are today. Not 5, 10, or 20 years ago. 
And don't go blaming it on men. We blame enough on men. I think we did this to ourselves.

2 comments:

  1. I'm too much of a chicken to ever go through any sort of cosmetic surgery, and far too lazy to do whole lot to combat the looks of aging (I would never dye my hair for example).

    Absolutely agree with you: why fight something that is natural?

    The only things i fight are things like mental decline and bone loss. :}

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I use emoticons to show my facial expressions because my face is too plastic to show them myself... :)

    ReplyDelete