4.13.2011

The joys of being coastal

My husband likes to fish, as does my neighbor, so pretty often we're having it for dinner. Last week Ricky brought home a pretty good-sized striped bass. Fish that fresh doesn't really need much, so I just rubbed it with olive oil, salt, pepper, and a little paprika. I served it with zucchini and yellow squash and rice pilaf with bell peppers.
Beautiful little organic bell peppers. I love these things, they make the best snacks too!
Then our neighbor brought us back some king mackerel from his latest fishing trip. I had never had mackerel, so coming up with something was tricky. I decided on tacos! This was also my first beer batter, and it was amazing! Bob (neighbor) said that they were the second best fish tacos he'd ever had, the first being his brother in law who has been making them for years. Quite the compliment, if I do say so myself.
Beer battered fried fish, crema (Cacique is a good brand), cabbage, jalapenos, radishes, all in a flour tortilla that I charred in a grill pan. So good that I want to have them every night.
I made up the beer batter, and was pretty pleased with the result
-Beer Batter-
1 cup All Purpose flour
2 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
salt
Chipotle chile powder (to taste)
Garlic powder (to taste)
12 oz Mexican beer (I recommend Tecate or Negra Modelo)
-Combine all the dry ingredients with a whisk. Slowly add the beer, then let the mixture sit for about 20 minutes. Dip in your fish and fry it in canola oil heated to about 350 degrees for 5-6 minutes.
Yup!

2 comments:

  1. I envy your living close to the ocean; I miss that a lot sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What yummy colorful dishes! Looks great =)

    ReplyDelete