9.19.2010

three meals and a kitty

Roasted tomato soup and caprese salad. This is a great meal for nights that you don't want to cook very much.
Sprinkle halved tomatoes (I used Roma) with olive oil, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Roast in a 400 degree oven for 45-55 minutes on a foil lined baking sheet. Roast a few cloves of unpeeled garlic on the same sheet. Meanwhile, in a dutch oven on the stove top, bring 2 cups of vegetable stock and 1 cup of canned crushed tomatoes (I like Muir Glenn brand) to a simmer. Add the tomatoes and the garlic, peeling it first, of course. Puree with an immersion blender until desired consistency is reached. I served mine with a spring of fresh basil and a touch of cream.
Chicken paillards on a chive and spinach puree topped with crispy green olives, served with mixed green salad and fingerling potatoes.
♥Kitten on a key board. ♥
Roasted salmon with a sauce of red wine, oyster mushrooms, shallots, garlic, and thyme, and an arugula and fig salad with parmigiana reggiano.
Happy Eating.

3 comments:

  1. One thing I love about the way you eat is the use of olive oil! We use it often because I believe it's really very good for you, if it's cold pressed anyway. My mom tells me it's very unhealthy :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom is dead wrong. =)
    I cook with olive oil for nearly every meal I make, just like my mom did. It's really good for you. I only cook with olive oil, real butter, or, in the case of Mexican food, lard. True story. Occasionally I'll use canola oil, for things that I don't want to flavor, but not often at all. Ricky and I are both in very good health, so I think that using chemically-weird low fat or non-fat crap is where people go wrong. There's nothing wrong with the real stuff, in my opinion. It tastes better and you use less!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olive oil contains monounsaturated fat, which reduces the total and LDL cholesterol in your blood. Bonus, extra virgin is the least processed and therefore has higher levels of polyphenols, an antioxidant that further promotes heart health.

    ReplyDelete