7.29.2010

my backyard

My backyard is home to many things.
Exhibit A: Giant caterpillars.
B: The neighbor dog, Tebow.
And we all remember the little birds that nest again and again in our birdhouse. We just had another trio of chicks grow up and fly out.
Does the house stay vacant in between nests?
Apparently not.
THIS is what moves in.
Heavens.
To.
BETSY.
There was a 2.5 foot long red corn snake (not poisonous, obviously) in the birdhouse. I had no choice (no choice!) but to pull him out by the head with a pair of BBQ tongs and lay him on the grass. And then get right in his face like a fascinated 8 year old boy until he got angry and coiled up and lunged at me.
Beautiful, isn't he?
Oh, and after sticking my hand right in there to take some pictures.
Ricky was concerned for my safety and sanity.
I called him Indiana Jones and kept poking at the snake, whom I named Clifford.
Because he was red.

2 comments:

  1. You are so funny! I love snakes...even the venomous ones, but non-venomous is better, of course. He is one cute thing! And LOL about Ricky fearing for your sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you for so many reasons, but maybe most of all for not hating snakes!! ;D

    ReplyDelete