11.28.2009

Turkey: Take 2, and my first homemade ornament!

Today was the beginning of "leftovers days." Exciting, I know.
I made turkey soup with garlic, onions, celery, carrots, kidney beans, potatoes, diced tomatoes, lots of fresh herbs, chicken stock, and turkey. I can't believe I didn't remember to keep my turkey carcass for homemade stock! Ah well, there's always the next bird. This soup was great! Nice and hearty, which was appreciated on one of the coolest days we've seen yet! Tomorrow we're having the rest of the soup for lunch, and yet another delicious turkey re-run for dinner.
The first of my Christmas decorations is up! I made this wreath in about 15 minutes, and for about $10.00. I used the old wire hanger technique, unwinding and forming a wire hanger into a circle, threading on ornaments, then twisting it back together on top and adding ribbons and bows. I love it, and I think it looks great in our chocolate entryway. I'm thinking of making a smaller version for our front doorknob. I'm actually excited about decorating this year. We never really decorated while I was growing up, but this year Ricky is deploying so I'll be alone for Christmas, so I feel like I need all the cheer I can get! Everyone in my neighborhood is putting up multicolored lights and inflatable Santa dolls and giant candy canes. No thanks. I'm thinking potted poinsettias, evergreen garland, an amaryllis wreath... that sort of thing. More Williams Sonoma Home, less Dollar General, ya dig?

No comments:

Post a Comment