10.26.2009

“The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook” - Julia Child

Tonight I was feeling adventurous and wanted to make something I've never made before. I decided on Steak Au Poivre with brandy mushroom cream sauce and a rich potato gratin.
The mushrooms! Oyster mushrooms (gorgeous!) and shitake mushrooms. Sometimes I feel bad about cooking such pretty produce... I get over that feeling quickly.
Here is my gratin! Potatoes cut paper thin (quite an accomplishment without the aid of a mandolin), cream, parmigiana reggiano, thyme, chives, salt, and pepper. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes. Voilà!
Isn't that dish cute? It's my birthday present from my mummy! An adorable white Le Creuset 9" stoneware gratin dish. Love it!
Aaaaaand dinner. Steak au Poivre (steak with pepper) topped with brandy mushroom cream sauce, a nice little salad, and that fan-freaking-tastic gratin. So good!
Happy Monday!


1 comment:

  1. Ah, the genius of Julia! I totally agree...diet food indeed. ;)

    I always drool over Le Creuset stuff in the Williams-Sonoma catalogs.

    Shitake mushrooms are my favorite (I'm a huge mushroom fan in general). Our efforts to grow them have been less than successful though...bummer.

    ReplyDelete