8.07.2009

Polenta may be my new favorite thing

Tonight I wanted to try something different. I cook all sorts of things, don't get me wrong, but when it comes to starches I'm usually at a bit of a loss. Pasta? Or potatoes? Maybe rice tonight? It rotates that way throughout the week, usually steering more in the potato direction. Tonight I noticed that I had a package of regular polenta in my pantry that I must have picked up on a whim when I was in the aisle with the San Marzano tomatoes on it.

Goodness gracious, is this stuff amazing. I cooked it in chicken broth, not water, and added salt, pepper, half a tablespoon of butter and some grated Parmesan. It was so good! It sopped up all the juices and sauce from the chicken I made. This was probably one of my favorite meals to date.

Chicken breasts cooked with crushed tomatoes, capers, crushed red pepper and herbs, served on a bed of Parmesan polenta, with fresh green beans that were dressed with olive oil and freshly grated nutmeg.
I also heated up some nice chewy bread and made a quick bread dip:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sea Salt and fresh Black Pepper
Red Pepper Flakes
Italian Seasoning

I'm waiting on some Orange-Vanilla Bean Cupcakes to cool, and will upload pictures of them soon! They're so pretty, I'm really excited.

2 comments:

  1. you can cook polenta a thousand different ways too, more versatile than a potato! i like it firmed up in a tin can, sliced and fried for breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm yeah, I found a recipe for fried polenta dipped in marinara... I looooooves polenta.

    Hey, do you have any good diabetic friendly cupcakes? I wanting to make something low in sugar for Ricky's supervisor's birthday. Don't know why I'm asking you, but I thought you might have some.

    By the way, you're looking absolutely gorgeous. Not that you haven't always been, but you're one hell of a pretty pregnant lady.

    Send me your address so that I can bestow gifts upon you!

    Love and miss your smiling happy face.

    ReplyDelete