9.09.2009

Super Simple Supper

I was tired tonight. I mean, "I think I'm going to bed at 7:30 tonight" tired. Alas, that wasn't to be, for there was grocery shopping to do, and I can't hire someone to do it for me. Once we got home, I made this! I simmered mild Italian sausages in chicken stock with sliced yellow onion and some of those adorable tiny sweet peppers, along with some garlic and fennel seed. I stuffed everything into toasted whole wheat buns and baked some french fries. I don't own a deep fryer, and that's probably for the best.
This is a shot of my lovely kitchen island! Potted rosemary, lavender, thai basil, lemons, plums, nectarines, and peaches! What a sight. Honestly, when I feel stressed I just go into my kitchen and look at all the pretty things. It makes me happy. That wine over there on the left is a 2008 Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling from the Columbia River Valley in Washington. I love Washington (home) and most everything that comes out of it, so when I saw this at Publix I grabbed it. Turns out it was named one of the ten best wines under $10 by bon appetit magazine. What a good eye I have (all the better to spot tasty wine with, my dear.) I really enjoyed this, and after being in Germany for five years I was just about Riesling-ed out. Lightly citrusy, just sweet enough with the right amount of dry.
Did you know that most people are drinking wine at the wrong temperature? I read today that while most people know and accept that red wine should be room temperature and whites should be chilled, they don't know that "room temperature" means around 55-65 degrees Fahrenheit, and the average home temperature is around 71 degrees. The article suggested chilling reds in the freezer for 10 minutes before uncorking, and taking whites out of the fridge 10-15 minutes before. Serving wine too warm or too cold highlights only the alcohol, not the underlying flavors. Something to consider, though I think I'll always feel strange putting a Chianti in my LG.

3 comments:

  1. Dude, you live in the States, you can tooooootally get your groceries delivered! You can order the damn things right off the internet or from a farm nearby. Things have changed in five years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a bar in town called 56°, which is apparently the temperature wine should be kept at.

    ReplyDelete