8.05.2009

Kari!

Did you know that the word "curry" comes from the Dravidian word "kari" which means "sauce" or "gravy?"
I thought that was pretty interesting.
Tonight I made a Thai Vegetable Curry. Ricky and I like to eat vegetarian meals a few nights a week, and I'm always looking for more ways to incorporate more fresh produce into our diet. I used those locally grown eggplant and some cauliflower that I also bought at Ever'Man, along with white onion and some fresh green beans. The sauce is red curry paste (also organic) and coconut milk. I seasoned everything up with turmeric, soy sauce, cumin, and garlic. I really miss the Thai restaurants that Germany had to offer, but my oh my was this tasty. Ricky really enjoyed it, and he doesn't even care for eggplant!
I served it up on Jasmine Rice, naturally.

For dessert, I whipped up a true homage to the Thai restaurants I love with some grilled bananas. I sprinkled sliced bananas with cinnamon and sugar and grilled them for about thirty seconds on each side in a buttered grill pan. I drizzled them with lavender flower honey and dusted them with cardamom. I know, I know, there's nothing Thai about lavender, but it's just so good!

3 comments:

  1. We've not been able to find organic curry paste at our health food co-op. Do you mail order yours?

    The grilled bananas look and sound wonderful...ds#1 and I aren't banana fans, but we might eat those1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found mine at the co-op! I was so happy! There are great simple recipes online, have you thought about making your own? Finding all of the ingredients at an organic grocery store wouldn't be nearly as hard as hunting down the packaged stuff. I've made my own green curry paste and it turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've never made our own before - not sure why we've not even thought of that (or maybe dh has and hadn't told me...LOL!). Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete