9.05.2009

Roast chicken, cupcakes, more cupcakes, fish curry, and football food.

A few nights ago I was feeling Aunt B-ish and roasted a chicken (4 lb) for dinner. This may seem ridiculous to some of you, a 4 pound chicken for two people... and it is, so next time I'll make game hens. I stuffed this lil' sucker with a whole lemon that I stabbed a few times and a few sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme. I love having a big rosemary plant on my kitchen island! I set the chicken on top of some red potatoes and quartered onions, and cooked it at 375 degrees for about an hour, just until a thermometer read 180. I served it with some steamed fresh Brussels Sprouts and some garlic parsley butter. Such a Sunday dinner! (on a Wednesday!)
The next night I made some Indian Fish curry. I used (once again) Seeds of Change simmer sauce, but this time I used the Madras. So good! You really get the hot pepper flavor, along with a very serious undertone of Garam Masala, something that I believe no Indian food should be without. I make my own, but you can buy it, too. It really adds that something special to dishes, and I love when jarred sauces already have that flavor.

Last night was Bethany's birthday! We all went to dinner at Osaka, a sushi/hibachi restaurant in Destin. I ordered the Agedashi Tofu and I loved it! Definitely something to try next time you're in a Japanese restaurant.
I made cupcakes! She like confetti, so I made some plain vanilla bean cupcakes and topped them with vanilla buttercream (tinted light blue with Wilton teal gel paste food coloring) and jumbo confetti. So cute!
Basic Buttercream:
1.5 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1/2 pound powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
Beat butter until pale and fluffy. Add sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in the vanilla, and continue mixing until buttercream is smooth. If it is too thin, add more sugar. Use immediately.
She liked them.
Tonight was the first game of the season for UGA, so Ricky got to watch football and I got to make snacky food! My lineup:
Green Chile and pepperoni flatbread pizza

Cheddar, green onion, and bacon potato skins

My amazing buffalo wings!

Buttermilk cupcakes with chocolate buttercream and peppermint pearls!

I'll end with yet another adorable picture of Maggie May! Ricky took this photo this morning, and I love it.

1 comment:

  1. Seeing your food photos always makes me a bit bummed that we're not friends IRL. :) I could go for some of those cupcakes right now!

    ReplyDelete